The Department of State Services (DSS), on Thursday, withdrew a suit filed at a Federal High Court, Abuja to detain the former terrorists’ negotiator, Tukur Mamu, for 60 more days after his arrest.
Mamu was arrested September 6, in Cairo, capital of Egypt, with his family members by foreign security agents while on his way to Saudi Arabia for lesser Hajj, and repatriated to Nigeria.
DSS’ counsel, A.M. Danlami, told Justice Nkeonye Maha shortly after the suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1619/2022 was called for hearing that the matter has been overtaken by event.
“My lord, this matter is slated for hearing today. However, the matter has been overtaken by event. We wish to withdraw the suit,” he said.
Following the application, Justice Maha struck out the suit
Meanwhile, the DSS, in the affidavit in support of the ex-parte motion, alleged that its preliminary investigation established the offences of logistic supplier, aiding and abetting acts of terrorism against Mamu and detaining him for 60 days was necessary pending the conclusion of investigation.
The DSS, in a statement by its Spokesman, Peter Afunaya, warned the public against interfering with the investigations which it said the outcomes had been “mindboggling.”
Gumi, during a Friday religious gathering in Kaduna, had called on the agency to charge Mamu to court if it had any evidence against him, rather than keeping him in custody.